We talked in our previous article; What is Upwork about the nature of the site’s work, and we learned about the available work areas on the site and its most important features as one of the most important freelance sites.
Read First What is Upwork, how does it work, and what are its advantages and areas of work?
Today, as we continue to talk about Upwork; We will explain the steps for registering on Upwork as a freelancer, and the details of creating your profile professionally.
Also, how to get your first job on the site, and we will explain the steps to withdraw your money from the Upwork site, so this article is a continuation of the previous article, and the two together represent a comprehensive guide about this wonderful platform.
To get the most benefit from the article, I advise you to read it twice: the first time with concentration and understanding only and the second time to read while applying the steps mentioned in the article.
Steps to register on Upwork
1. First Step: Start Registering on Upwork
To start registering on Upwork, go to upwork.com and click on the “Sign Up” button shown in green at the top right of the page. The registration window will appear.
You can register through your Google account or enter another email, choose one of the two ways to register, but we will complete the explanation by registering through the email.
To register through e-mail, enter your e-mail address and then click the “Continue with Email” button (You may see a message urging you to use a work email, but you can bypass it and continue to register through your free e-mail such as Gmail or Hotmail.
2. Second Step: Complete the registration information for free
After entering the email in the previous step, a window appears containing your name, country and,, password registration.
Your first and last name must be written in Latin characters only (English transliteration), as Upwork can ask you to provide documents to confirm your identity in the future.
Then also choose your country and password for your account, and choose that you register your account to work as a freelancer and not as a client who wants an employee Hire for a project.
It will show you a space to type a username that will appear to customers, the site gives you options, but you can create the name yourself, but it should not contain a space.
3. Third Step: Confirm your registration on Upwork
After pressing the Create My Account button in the previous step; You will be directed to your account activation page.
The purpose of this page is, first, to notify you that the activation message has been sent, and secondly, to enable you to change the email address in case you discover that you entered it incorrectly, or you can request the activation message again in case you did not receive it.
You can close this page after confirming that you have received the activation mail.
Upwork will send a confirmation link to your registered email, open your email and click the Verify Email button,
Upwork email address activation message
You will be directed to a page to create your account, which is one of the most important steps, because if you create a professional account, you will be accepted into the Free Lancers community on Upwork, and then you can start your work.
By completing the previous three steps, you will have already registered an account on Upwork, but this is not enough to start working on the site, so follow the following steps, which will enable you to create a professional Freelancer file on the Upwork site.
How to Create a Professional Profile on Upwork?
The most important step in getting a job at Upwork is to create your profile in a professional manner that demonstrates your skills well.
Make sure that you are honest in filling out your profile, and also that you are distinguished even if you do not have previous experience in your field, at the end of the article I will mention several steps to follow to get your first job on the site… First of all, we will mention the steps to obtain a 100% complete professional profile
1. First Step: Fill in your profile with information
Upwork site asks you how you prefer to fill in your profile data if you want to upload it through your profile on the Linkedin platform or create your profile manually.
My advice to you is to choose to create it manually to be sure to fill in all the details, and also write it in a professional and up-to-date manner, so click on Fill out manually.
Fill out your Upwork profile
2. Second Step: Expertise Write the field and specialization on Upwork
Determine your specialization in Upwork
It is a step to determine the field and specialization you want to work in and your skills in it. Choose your field of work, for example, “Web, Mobile & Software Dev.”
Next, you need to identify the sub-disciplines you work in, such as “web design” and “game development.”
Although you are allowed to choose up to 4 majors from the field, I think it is best to choose one or two that are related to your skills, as this will make you look like a professional freelancer in a specific subspecialty, and will increase your chances of getting a job.
Then you need to identify the skills that you want the client to see, and which must be relevant and supportive of your field of work.
Start typing the name of the skill and select it from the dropdown list. The site allows you to have up to 10 skills, but I advise you to choose 5-6 skills that are most relevant to your specialization, and then click Next to go to the third step.
3. The third step: Expertise level Determine the level of experience
Determine the level of experience in your Upwork account
Determine the level of expertise you have in your field… You can choose between three levels (Beginner / Intermediate / Expert).
If you do not have previous work or experience in your field, I recommend you to choose a beginner Entry level, and if you have more than a year in your field and there is previous work for you, I advise you to choose an Intermediate level, and the third option is an Expert chosen by those who have more than 6 years experience in their field.
So choose what suits you honestly... Don't worry about choosing a beginner level, as there are clients who are looking for who is at this level, I will explain these details to you in the article. Read on.
4. Fourth Step: Education
Add education to your Upwork account
Click on Add Education, and a window appears with the details of the required data, you must fill it in, it is better to select the university, and if it is not in the drop-down list, write its name as text only).
If you did not study at any university, mention your school instead, write the name of the college or major, the degree, and in the description, you can add information about the courses and fields you studied, but this is not necessary at this point.
5. Fifth Step: Employment Recruitment
Add a job to your Upwork account
In this step, you must add all your previous experiences in your field of work, which is an important part of showing your credibility, and if you do not have work experience before, you can add the volunteer activities that you have done, and you can also skip this step, but I do not advise you to do so even if you are a beginner.
Click on Add Employment, and a window appears containing the details of the required data, the name of the company, the job title, and the period in which you worked, fill in all the data, and you can write a description of the tasks you were doing in this company.
After you have finished writing all your previous or current jobs, click Next to go to the next step.
6. Step Six: Languages Add the languages you speak
Add the language to your Upwork account
First, you must answer the question to determine your level of English, and choose between:
- Basic is a level where you where wherein peak can write in English and understand words.
- Conversational A level where you become able to write and have a conversation in English.
- Fluent: At this level, you can write in English fluently.
- Native Choosing this level means that it is your native language.
Also, add any other language you can use (if you wish) and specify your level in it, then click Next to complete the steps for creating your file.
7. Step Seven: Hourly Rate
Setting an hourly rate on Upwork
This step expresses your appreciation of how much your working hour costs, as customers see this rate in your profile once you have finished and published your profile, and you can also adjust your rate every time you submit a proposal.
Add the hourly cost in front of the Hourly Rate, and then notice that the site has calculated its percentage and shown it, and also watch the net worth how much.
Example If you write that the hourly rate is $10, the site fee is $2, and your net account becomes $8 per hour.
8. Step Eight: Title & Overview
Writing a Job Title on Upwork
You should write your job title, and be specific like “web developer”, it is better to write a specific technology, framework, or specific job.
In this part, you need to focus on writing your most important skills and interests and showing your best, the more experience you have, the more you have to prove it by mentioning your many experiences and interests.
But if you are at the beginner stage, all you have to do is write a small overview that expresses you and your interest in your field, as well as mention the certificates you have obtained.
Here are some tips that I recommend you to follow to get the best result:
Do not write your name because it is already at the beginning of your profile.
Don't write abstract phrases, which you can find on almost all profiles, like “Hi, I have 5 years experience in…”, but you should stand out and tell clients how you can be useful to them.
Do not post any links, it is forbidden.
Write about your previous experience related to the specialization you mentioned in your profile.
You can describe the programs and techniques you use at work.
Finally, recheck the text carefully for errors to fix.
Through these tips, you will find that you have typed at least 500 characters, and this is especially good if you are a beginner.
P.S: The title or job title is what appears directly under your name, and the overview is the first thing customers see on Upwork when they enter your profile, so you should take care of them.
9. Step Nine: Profile Photo
Add a profile picture to your Upwork account
In this step, you must upload a personal photo that shows your facial features well, and also be professional and suitable for the work environment.
Here are some tips on choosing your photo:
- You should only upload your photo: logos will not work.
- Image size should be 250px * 250px.
- The photo must be without obvious signs of photo correction, otherwise, it will not be accepted.
- Your face should be clearly visible in the photo and centered so that it looks good when the Upwork frame image is circled.
- The image must be of good quality.
- The background of the photo should be a uniform color and not have many details.
Upload your personal photo and then click Next to move on to the last two steps.
10. Step Ten: Location Add your location
Add your location on Upwork
In this step, you complete some personal information, including choosing your country and city and also writing your address. Upwork is committed to complete confidentiality about personal information, as Upwork clients see it only when they view your file.
11. The eleventh step: Phone number Add your phone number
Add your phone number on Upwork
The last step to successfully complete your file is to add your phone number and it is preferable to complete it correctly, as it is easier to regain access to your account if it is lost for any reason, and Upwork explains that the phone number will not be shared with customers.
Add it and then click on Preview Profile, it then takes you to your complete file to view and review it, then you click on Submit Profile, and your profile sends to the Upwork site administration to be reviewed and responded to by accepting it.
Congratulations, you have reached the end of the registration stage, but you cannot start working now, you have to wait for your account to be approved.
You will be notified by email about your account, and approval usually takes 24 hours. During the waiting period, you can take some steps that contribute to strengthening the acceptance rate of your file, so let's get acquainted with these steps.
Steps to boost your profile's acceptance on Upwork
Here are some tips that will help you strengthen your profile on Upwork, and also contribute to its acceptance in a large percentage, read them well and apply them as much as possible:
I recommend that you take a look at the profile samples registered on Upwork before you start creating your profile, as this will help you create a profile that passes the approval process.
Add your social media accounts on Upwork to increase your credibility.
Add your certificates obtained in any field, whether computer, English, or, marketing.
After submitting your file for review from Upwork, you can during this period pass tests that are provided on the site, as they have a major role in strengthening your file and also accepting it, you can take an English language test, and some tests that you master and are related to your field of work.
Add your previous work great foresting your file, which is a very important step that helps you appear professional to clients.
These are some tips that you can work on after submitting your profile, so you can ensure that your profile is accepted on Upwork.
Now let me tell you how you can get your first job on Upwork, and then we will move on to how to get your money from Upwork, continue reading to light up many important things in your mind.
How do you get your first job on Upwork?
It is one of the most important and difficult steps that some may face, especially the novice person who does not have any previous work or experience.
But with the following tips, you will definitely be able to get your first job on Upwork... after you have followed the previous steps and tips to strengthen your profile.
1. Job search for beginners
As we mentioned in the stage of creating your Upwork profile that there are 3 levels of experience for Freelancers (beginner, intermediate, expert).
This tip is for beginners who have no experience in their field
- Go to the search box, type the name of your field, for example, Content Creation, and click on Filter. Many details will appear, including Experience Level.
- Here you must choose the Entry Level, then click Search. It will show you the jobs that require beginners, as there are many clients when they post a freelance application for a job, specifying that they want a beginner freelancer,
2. Short-term job search
We mentioned in the previous article that shows you the nature of work on the Upwork site, where there are two types of work or two types of skills:
Long-term, which may take months with the same client and has its advantages.
Short-term work may be completed in a few days
Here is one of the tips to get your first job on Upwork. Search and choose a job with a short-term
Follow the same previous step, and when you click on Filter, in the Project length section, choose Less than 1 week, and then it will show you all the jobs in your search field and the duration of their implementation is less than a week.
Choosing a type of short-term work helps you, in the beginning, to complete many works and get good feedback from clients, which enables you to strengthen your profile on Upwork and get bigger projects with larger amounts.
3. Searching for new clients
There are many clients who Many clients are new to Upwork and have not contracted with a freelancer before, so this is a great opportunity for you to be able to get a job with them.
You can search for them in the same way as before using Filter, and in the Client History section, select No hires, then click on Search. All new clients who are requesting to perform a task in the field you searched for will appear.
4. Searching for low-paying jobs
To get a job on Upwork for the first time, you should choose a business for a low fee, many clients want to do the job for a small fee.
This is a good opportunity for the beginner so that he can get many jobs, appear better on the Upwork site, and have a previous business that allows him to progress and get bigger business and great, money.
Through the previous search idea also use a Filter when searching, and through get, you can determine the financial equivalent at the lowest cost.
When you follow these four tips, I guarantee that you will get your first job on Upwork as soon as possible, but do not forget that it is important to tell your client after completing the task to leave you a positive comment so that you can easily get other work.
How to withdraw earnings from Upwork
- Go to your profile settings.
- Click on Tax Information, then click on Edit.
- A window appears for you, choose I am not a U.S person, write your triple name, then choose,c, certify under penalty of perjury, and finally click Save.
- Go to the Get Paid section, and click on Set Up now, so you can choose the appropriate withdrawal method for you.
- Only the options available to you appear, which is to withdraw via Paypal or Payoneer, choose the one that suits you, and press Set Up.
- Then choose the withdrawal period you want, such as transfer every month, monthly or weekly, and so on.
- Through these steps, you have successfully prepared the method of withdrawing your money, and do not forget that completing this step is available to you after approval of your profile, and you can also complete it after getting your first job on Upwork.
Tips to get success on Upwork
- Make sure to finish your Upwork profile 100%, write all your information and show your skills as much as possible through your profile.
- Be sure to get positive evaluations from clients, and if you finish a task with a client and he does not give you an evaluation, ask him professionally and professionally to express his opinion on your work, because your evaluations are one of the most important points of strengthening your file and increasing the number of your clients.
- Make sure you finish your tasks in the best way can professionally and professionally and stick to the deadline.
- Be sure to choose the work or task that you are capable of and that you can finish well without mistakes, yourself because building a good reputation for your Upwork is a very important point.
- Make sure to write what benefits the customer and distinguishes you from the rest of the freelancers when applying for a job. Any customer wants to know his benefit and the success of his work, using your skills, build trust with him so that you can get the job.
- In the end, be sure to read this article well and the previous article to know the steps well and the app to order to get the best results.
- Now that we have completed a comprehensive definition of the Upwork site and the nature of work on it, we also dealt with a detailed explanation of creating your account on the site, ways to strengthen it and get your first work, as well as the details of withdrawing your money, you can leave your inquiry in the comments and I will reply to you as soon as possible.